Filesystem space accounting bug

From: Walter Hofmann
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 10:10:14 EST

Hi,

I have a backup script which creates a filesystem image which is later
written to DVD. It is created & loop-mounted with

dd if=/dev/zero of=${DARIMAGE} bs=1024k count=4460 || exit 1
mke2fs -F -b 4096 -m 0 -N 32 -O sparse_super -L BACKUP ${DARIMAGE} || exit 1
sync
mount /mnt/dar
touch /mnt/dar/backup-stamp

Then I use the "dar" utility to create a single large file on this. I
believe, but have not checked, that dar writes the file linearly. dar is
instructed to stop writing to the filesystem before it reaches 4GB.

However, recently, dar failed after approx. 3GB with ENOSPC. The
filesystem was still mounted, so I could check that there really were
only 3GB written to it. Still, I could not even create a 1 byte file on
it, although there should be around 1GB free space left.

There were no error messages logged. I unmounted the image and ran
e2fsck on it and it reported that the free block count in a number of
groups on the filesystem was wrong.

I'm using Linux 2.6.6. I tried to reproduce this, but now it works
again.

Walter