Re: [RFD] Explicitly documenting patch submission

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 17:04:17 EST

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 01:31:49PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > You're just asking that they read it and confirm to the maintainer
> > that they did, right?
>
> Right. We'd add it to the Documentation directory, and add pointers to it
> to anything that mentions the "Signed-off-by:" thing (eg things like
> SubmittingPatches). All just to make sure that people are aware of what it
> means to say "Signed-off-by:"

Hmm, but it would still take a long time until everybody does this
by default (and there will be always people who don't read all
the instructions before sending a patch, so it's not that this will
stop at some point). Would you require maintainers
to reject patches when the signoff lines are missing?

I personally would hate to reject a value bug fix because of a policy
like this...

In practice I guess it would end up with that maintainers would spend a lot
of time explaining to everybody what this new policy is about and
possibly are forced to reject a lot of patches initially.

-Andi