Re: [RFD] Explicitly documenting patch submission

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 15:35:45 EST

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hola!
> >
> > This is a request for discussion..
>
> What's not completely clear to me is how the Signed-off-by
> header is related to this:
>
> > Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.0
> [...]
>
> I assume you're not expecting that people actually print out and sign
> this and send it somewhere?

No.

> You're just asking that they read it and confirm to the maintainer
> that they did, right?

Right. We'd add it to the Documentation directory, and add pointers to it
to anything that mentions the "Signed-off-by:" thing (eg things like
SubmittingPatches). All just to make sure that people are aware of what it
means to say "Signed-off-by:"

> That sounds quite involved to me. I bet in some companies this
> Certificate would first be sent to the legal department for approval,
> delaying the patch for a long time

Having worked at a company like that, I can say that that is true pretty
much regardless of what the patch submission is (it's about a million
times _worse_ if you have something like the FSF copyright assignment
thing, but it's certainly true even for random open source things that
don't have the physical paperwork and copyright assignment).

> e.g. normally the maintainer would just answer "ok, looks good,
> applied". Now they would need to ask "ok, did you write this. if not
> through which hands did it pass"? and wait for a reply and then only
> add the patch when you know whom to put into all these Signed-off-by
> lines.

No. The point is that a maintainer does NOT need to do this, exactly
because we'd try to educate people to have the "Signed-off-by:" line pass
with the patch from the very beginning.

> This is not unrealistic, For example for patches that are "official
> projects" by someone it often happens that not the actual submitter
> sends the patch, but his manager (often not even cc'ing the original
> developer). In some cases companies even go through huge efforts to
> keep the original developers secret (I won't give names here, but it
> happens).

Absolutely. And the whole sign-off procedure is _designed_ for this.

The person who signs off on a patch does not need to be the author: in
fact at a company that has "release people", it's not _supposed_ to be the
author, it's supposed to be the company release person (although the
original author may well have signed off on it internally - but that's not
somethign that an external maintainer would know about or even care
about).

Linus