Re: [announce/OT] kerneltop ver. 0.7

From: Cef (LKML)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 02:22:05 EST

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:00, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 03:53:42PM +1000, Cef (LKML) wrote:
> > Looks good! A few suggestions....
> > Might want to add support for /boot/System.map containing the version
> > number (eg: /boot/System.map-`uname -r` ), if /boot/System.map doesn't
> > exist, before just dropping out with an error.
> > For clarity, you might want to invert the "address function ....." line
> > to separate the header from the actual displayed data (like top does).
> > Having the total up in the header instead of at the end of the data might
> > also be useful (eg: next to ticks perhaps?) as it's really a waste of a
> > display line for 1 number.
> > Also a little more verbosity in the error messages would be good.
> > eg:
> > /proc/profile not found:
> > You need to enable profiling support in your kernel to use kerneltop
> > /proc/profile Permission Denied:
> > You need to be root to run kerneltop
> > Hope these comments are useful.
>
> Please try the patch I just posted which eliminates the need to be root.

Works well, but there is one notable side effect.

First time you read /proc/profile, you get everything instead of the last
difference, so the first display is huge (and total_ticks is just right off
the scale). Probably a good idea to read the values once first, just throw
them away, and use that as the starting point.

--
Stuart Young (aka Cef)
cef-lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is for LKML and related email only