Re: Strange DMA-errors and system hang with SMART (was: ...and systemhang with Promise 20268)

From: Bruce Allen
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 07:48:04 EST

Hi Sebastian,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. My usual googling of smartmontools
didn't turn this up because you changed the subject line and started a new
thread. You wrote:

> Further, there seems to be a known problem with SMART related to the
> hard drive that I am using:
> Device Model: IC35L040AVER07-0

I hadn't realized until now that the drive is an IBM GXP60.

smartctl is *supposed* to print a warning message for these drives, to
tell users to look at http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/index.html#rel
for pointers to updated firmware for this drive! What firmware version do
you have?

If you do smartctl -P showall, you'll see that there is the following
entry -- but the regular expression doesn't match your drive because of
the '-0' and '-1' suffix (which usually indicates RAM cache size of the
disk drive). I'll do a bit of research and then probably modify the
smartmontools regular expression to be sure to recognize the drive.

MODEL REGEXP: IC35L0[12346]0AVER07
FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*
ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: None preset; no -v options are required.
WARNINGS: IBM Deskstar 60GXP drives may need upgraded SMART
firmware. Please see http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/index.html#rel

Meanwhile, what firmware version do you have? I suggest you upgrade it --
this may fix the problem. The final firmware with the SMART fixes seems
to be A46A.

Cheers,
Bruce