Re: Strange DMA-errors and system hang with SMART (was: ...andsystem hang with Promise 20268)

From: Sebastian
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 05:37:11 EST

Am Do, den 20.05.2004 schrieb Bruce Allen um 11:23:
> Sebastian, does the disk's SMART error log (smartctl -l error) give any
> indication of what's wrong?

Hi Bruce,

no, no errors were logged. However, and that was the reason why I
initially saw a connection to the old thread from March 2004 that talked
about SMART tests correlated with these DMA errors:

SMART Self-test log
# 1 Short offline Interrupted (host reset) 10%
#10 Short offline Interrupted (host reset) 10%
#15 Short offline Interrupted (host reset) 10%

Thus, short offline self-tests were running at the times where the DMA
errors and system hangs occurred.

Further, there seems to be a known problem with SMART related to the
hard drive that I am using:

Device Model: IC35L040AVER07-0

However, I had been running SMART self-tests without any problems until
that kernel upgrade.

I already turned off SMART self-tests - no crashes so far, but too early
to be sure. Maybe it is just a hard drive problem that did not show up
before. Since I had planned to replace that disk drive anyhow, I will do
that sooner.

Thanks,

Sebastian