Re: bk-3.2.0 released

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 10:12:57 EST

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:00:40PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-19 07:48:52 -0700, Larry McVoy <lm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote in message <20040519144852.GC18977@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 04:26:56PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, it was. Even miscompilation reports are mostly OT, since they
> > > should go to GCC's bugzilla.
> >
> > Sigh. This strikes me as "aha, Larry's posted something, let's see if
> > we can get him hooked on some trollbait, that would be fun, it's been
> > a while!"
>
> Not at all! You *do* post useful/helpful/serious/whatnot emails (eg.
> those about the corruption-at-page's-end topic). It's just that I like
> to see noise on this list going down, which includes announcments eg. of
> binutils/gcc, bitkeeper, but also the constant announcments for
> yet-some-more-email-addresses-added patches for some rarely used script.

Some people complain that we don't announce BK releases and some people
complain that we do. Given that we do a release about twice a year I
think complaining about it is over the top. I'm quite happy to stop
announcing it here but the cost of that is I'll just turn off support
for the older releases on openlogging.org and bkbits.net. That's not
very polite to the BK users (it's completely legal, you are supposed
to stay current under the terms of the BKL) but it would keep the list
free of these oh-so-annoying and oh-so-frequent posts. See the tradeoff?
Whether you do or don't, I thought about this and felt it was better
to post than to not post. If you had been in my position I suspect
you'd do the same thing. So how about we let this little tempest in
a teapot die now? I'm sure we have better things to do with our time.
--
---
Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitkeeper.com