Re: 2.6.6-mm2

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 15:51:51 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 09:39:32AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 09:18, Adrian Bunk wrote:

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 04:25:40AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

Wim explained that any application changes now won't be widely deployed for
another year. During that period the ability to run existing Oracle setups
requires that hugepage allocation be available to unprivileged
applications.
It means that if people install a kernel.org machine on their database
server, the database *just won't work*. This is not good for those users,
for the kernel developers or for Linux's reputation in general.

That sounds silly when talking about Oracle.

Oracle says:
Which Kernels are supported?

Oracle does not support modified or recompiled kernels. Recompiled kernels are not supported with or without source modifications.

I doubt there are many "existing Oracle setups" that will risk to lose all Oracle support by installing a different kernel.

No, I doubt so as well. Then again, why force them into a vendor
kernel? At the very least, it would be nice to be able to benchmark
vanilla against the vendors.

I think I recall times when code contributions to the kernel were only judged by their quality and not by the needs of some non-free apps or what vendors did.

Either my memory is wrong, or these times are gone now...

I don't see that "quality" and "what vendors did" are mutually exclusive. What I don't see is why you think that having a capability control this is a bad thing. It would seem to be exactly the type of thing capabilities address, giving a selected bit of permission to a trusted application.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)