Re: dma ripping

From: Hugo Mills
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 11:21:33 EST

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 05:26:44PM +0200, Philip Dodd wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:
> 8<
> >You are not being stupid, I think we have a leak in there some where.
> >PIO should work just fine. Slower than DMA of course, but it should work
> >perfectly of course.
>
> Hi All,
>
> Just a quick "me too" here - though symptoms don't appear to be
> identical. Running 2.6.6 on Debian Sid and using nvidia binary modules.
> My system doesn't hang, but when I get the log message "cdrom:
> dropping to single frame dma" ripping stops working. It still rips but
> I get silence - it will rip the track OK, as in read through the correct
> track length, but I get silence on the resulting wav file.

Put me down for this latter one, too. I'm using a vanilla 2.6.[56]
on amd64. Controller is VIA.

It seems to be related to hard-to-read CDs (dirty/scratched/badly-
made) -- I've got a couple here that I'm pretty sure I can use as test
cases to trigger the problem instantly.

Hugo.

PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
--- "What's so bad about being drunk?" "You ask a glass of water" ---