2.6.6-mm1: nameif causes oops

From: Jurriaan
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 12:31:22 EST

In my untainted 2.6.6-mm1 kernel, I see an oops (the one with the turtle
graphics) when booting, caused by the usage of nameif (which renames
ethernet interfaces from 'eth0' to 'adsl' for example).

dmove+0xc0/02fd
show_stack
show_registers
die
do_page_rault
error_code
sysfs_rename
kobject_rename
class_device_rename
dev_change_name
dev_ioctl
inet_ioctl
sock_ioctl
sys_ioctl
syscall_call

This is a smp (hyperthreading, single cpu) Pentium/4 system running
Debian Unstable.
I hope this is enough information, if not, let me know please.

This didn't happen in 2.6.6-rc3-mm1, by the way, which is the latest
kernel I tested before this one.

Kind regards,
Jurriaan
--
"If you hoped to arouse my deep antipathy, you have succeeded," said
Carfilhiot. "Otherwise, the occasion has been time wasted."