Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 02:54:07 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Andy Isaacson <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But in a related case, I have a background daemon that does a lot of IO
(mostly sequential, one page at a time read/modify/write of a multi-GB
file) to a filesystem on a separate spindle from my main filesystems.
I'd like to use a similar mechanism to say "don't let this program eat
my pagecache" that will let the daemon crunch away without severely
impacting my desktop work.

fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED) is ideal for this. Run it once per megabyte
or so.

Sweet. I'm so happy you added posix_fadvise (way back when), and even happier to hear this.

Does our fadvise support len==0 ("I mean the whole file")? That's defined in POSIX, and would allow a compliant app to simply POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED once at the beginning.

Jeff