Re: I oppose Chris and Jeff's patch to add an unnecessary additionalnamespace to ReiserFS

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 13:16:48 EST

Hans Reiser wrote:
Christoph Hellwig wrote:

Did you notice that V4 blows XFS and ReiserFS V3 away in benchmarks? That is what I have been doing for 3 years....

See www.namesys.com for details.

see www.microsoft.com why Windows is much better than Linux. Yeah, thanks.

Ask the users whether their laptops, etc., seem to go a lot faster with V4. They seem to be pretty happy with it.

V4 fixed all of V3's serious performance flaws, and totally obsoletes it. I am very happy with it.

For the present thread, this is irrelevant, as the irreverent responses hinted at:

Regardless of _any_ features or fixes in V4, reiserfs V3 will be used in production system for years. Minor feature additions to an existing filesystem make it far easier for kernel engineers and sysadmins to assess the impact on their systems -- which is typically of less impact than switching to a new filesystem.

Jeff