Re: IDE throughput in 2.6 - it's good!

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 10:35:47 EST

Ken Moffat wrote:

So, despite the numbers shown by hdparm looking worse, when only one
user is doing anything the performance is actually improved. I've no
idea which changes have achieved this, but thanks to whoever were
involved.

I've done tests using dd to and from the raw block device under 2.4 and 2.6. Memory size (kernel boot param mem=) doesn't seem to affect performance, so I assume that means that dd to and from the raw block device is unbuffered. When I compare read and write speeds between 2.4 and 2.6, 2.6 is definately slower. The last 2.6 kernel I tried this with is 2.6.5.