Re: mkinitrd error

From: Seve Ho
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 22:37:48 EST

Thanks for your help and sorry for asking the Redhat question here...
I will tried out the solutions you provided today later.

However, I would like to ask one more question about compiling kernel ( I sure this is about the kernel this time.)

The following is what I does to recompile my kernel, I run these command at /usr/src/linux-2.4/

# make mrproper
# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs
# cp kernel-2.4.18-ia64-smp.config /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config
# make oldconfig
# make dep
# make compressed
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install

All the steps went good but when it comes to "make install", the error happened
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

Does that means I dont have the any code in the "Makefile" for "make install"? And does that means my Makefile is not correct?
I have looked into the web and some documents said make install will copy the kernel file to correct directory and make a new entry into elilo.conf.

Based on this, could I manually do the following instead of relying on the "make install" command?

1. copy the kernel files (vmlinux.gz and System.map) to /boot/efi/efi/redhat/
2. make symbolic link to above file at /boot
3. edit elilo.conf to add a new entry pointing to the new kernel compiled.
4. Restart.

Could anyone provide opinions on it?
Thanks again.

Seve

Arthur Perry wrote:

Hi Steve,

You probably want to communicate this back to RedHat. (I assume you are
using RedHat)..
I have seen the same thing, but honestly did not take it too seriously.
I figured someone else would report it to them ;)

The mkinitrd script is located at /sbin/mkinitrd.
It creates a fixed-size ramdisk at 4000 kbytes if i386, and 8000 kbytes
for "all" other architectures (or more accurately, other architectures
that would see this specific script) .. That would be ia64.
For a quick fix, you can change this value to something larger like 12000.
This should fit what you need.
Just change line 45 from "IMAGESIZE=8000" to "IMAGESIZE=12000".
You now can re-run it and it should complete without errors.

Then you will need to modify your elilo.conf file, passing the new
ramdisk size to the kernel command line.
This has to be done because the new ramdisk size is larger than the
default value which the kernel expects.

Simply find your active kernel paragraph in the
/boot/efi/efi/redhat/elilo.conf file, and make sure your append line
reads,
append="root=LABEL=/ ramdisk_size=12000"

Off the top of my head, I think this is all you need to do.

FYI, correct me if I am wrong everyone, but this really should go to a
RedHat support mail group. Not the kernel development one.
It was just a free ticket and I am just having my morning coffee ;)

Arthur Perry
Lead Linux Developer / Linux Systems Architect
Validation, CSU Celestica
Sair/Linux Gnu Certified Professional, 2000
Project Manager, Linuxfarms
http://www.linuxfarms.com