Hand with radeon 9000 / AGP / DRI

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 03:54:31 EST

I've been playing around trying to get the most out of my Radeon
9000 pro with a 2.4.x kernel and I must admit that I've been
somewhat disapointed. There are two things I've been trying to get
to work properly:
1) RadeonFB
2) Direct rendering in X (needs DRI and AGP)

The first one actually works, but only if I set "mem=840MB" at
startup (I've got 1GB.) Not sure I see why I need to give up
some memory here. Maybe I'm just missing something ...

The second needs some tweaking before it can start being played
with (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107073819005830&w=2).
But even then, it's not really stable. I just go in KDE's screensaver
config menu, select "Flux (GL)"->Setup and try a few different types.
Usually, but the time I've selected to preview a third type (regardless
of the name, it's just any third), the machine simply hangs, and I
have to hard reset. I'm not sure how this propagates down to the kernel
in terms of calls/accesses, but it's really not an issue with time (i.e.
leaving the screensaver run for a while will not cause any hangs,) it's
an issue with changing the screensaver config a limited number of times,
usually three times.

Here's some more info about the config:
- RedHat 9
- P4 2.4GHz with HT
- P4C800-Deluxe Asus board (intel 875 chipset)
- 1GB RAM
- Tried with a 2.4.26 with the above-mentioned patch

Anyone have something like this working?

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits