Re: [somewhat OT] binary modules agaaaain

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 15:05:03 EST

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Ihar 'Philips' Filipau wrote:

> Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > I came across an idea, how Linux could allow binary modules, still having
> > reasonable control over them.
> >
> > I am not advocating for binary modules, nor I am trying to make their life
> > harder, this is just an idea how it could be done.
> >
> > I'll try to make it short, details may be discussed later, if any interest
> > arises.
> >
> > A binary module is "considered good" if
>
> I belive that you forgot to make "The Point."

May be...

> And "discussion" (good vs. bad isn't discussion, but flames) went in
> wrong direction.

Very right. Let me try to explain it again. It was just an idea, that
popped in my mind. I was not sure if it was good or bad, so, I decided to
dump it to lkml, so, that the people here could evaluate it. And, if it
can be of any use - use it. I, personally, don't care much (at least at
the moment) about binary drivers. And I most of all wanted to avoid
starting a new wave of flames. That's why I tried to avoid answering to
other posters (sorry, if it was somewhat impolite).

> Be constructive. For example: Let's aks h/w producers making at least
> glue layer open source (bsd or something), so people eventually might
> help to maintain this glue layer.
> How it can help? - producer with time may move bigger parts of driver
> into open source domains.
> How it can gets screwed? - producer might just start liking when
> someone is doing his work for him. Some license a-la GPL to not let glue
> layer to slip into binary only domain back must be in place.
>
> This could be a good starting point for h/w producers and linux
> comunity as a whole.
>
> Saying Good/Bad is just B.S. - helps no-one.
> Building bridges between comunity and producers - might improve and
> deepen relationships. And that's what I hope for.

Thanks! You seem to have understood the idea pretty close to what I mean,
and, probably, you are better capable of explaining things, than I:-) But,
I think, if it is going to be discussed further, let's move it away from
LKML (you are right, Bart). It can either be discussed in private emails,
or, maybe someone could create a dedicated mailing list somewhere.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski