Re: /dev/psaux-Interface

From: Sau Dan Lee
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 09:24:17 EST

>>>>> "Neil" == Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> BTW, how did you hack the /dev/psaux?

Neil> It's not suitable for inclusion, but with this patch, I get
Neil> two modules, psdev and psmouse. I load psdev and /dev/psaux
Neil> is raw. I load psmouse and /dev/psaux is normal 2.6
Neil> behaviour.

[patch snipped]

I see. Basically, we're both (re)inventing the same thing. :)

Now, it is clear that there is a need for direct psaux port access.
It's useful for 2 reasons:

1) Compatibility with 2.4, 2.2, 2.0 kernels, so that programs need no
modification and work as before. This provides an easier migration
path for those who want to upgrad to 2.6 for whatever reasons.

2) To enable using "strange", not yet supported hardwares, whose
*mature* software drivers are already available for 2.4, 2.2, 2.0,
etc. Not every writer of those software drivers are interested in
rewriting their programs in kernel space.

--
Sau Dan LEE ???(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx