Re: /dev/psaux-Interface

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 07:57:06 EST

On Monday 19 April 2004 03:35 am, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> psaux.c release 2004-04-19
>
> This is psaux.c linux kernel driver for kernels 2.6.x,
> a direct PS/2 serial port (aka /dev/psaux) driver.
>
> Available from:
> http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/rel/psaux-2004-04-19.tar.gz
>
> (includes README with more information)
>
> The driver was originally written by Lee Sau Dan
> http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee/fun/psaux/
> but I fixed some bugs (most importantly SMP).
>
> I've seen lots of discussions about different mouse behaviour (or
> completely non-functioning mouse). If you have one of those problems, this
> driver should restore the kernel 2.4.x behaviour.
>
> Any suggestions/hopes to get it included into mainstream kernel?

It seems that the driver allows non-exclusive access to the port - multiple
users may fight to set up the mode. How they will agree on which one to set?
On the other hand I do not want psaux to give me only exclusive access as
I have had emough of GPM repeater feeding X feeding Y ... etc.

It does not support active multiplexing controller (4 AUX ports) which
becomes quite common and is the only sane option when you have several
mice of different types.

Also I do not see where the code makes sure that it does not bind to
keyboard's port (so keyboard driver has to be loaded first).

I think the right way is to fix the issues with psmouse driver and use input
system to tie all hardware together.

--
Dmitry