Re: NFS and kernel 2.6.x

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 18:23:32 EST

Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 20:26, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > Are they intended to stop doubling at 3.2? The major timeout
> > thus happens after 22.3 seconds.
> >
> > Unsurprisingly, subsequent major timeouts take 44.1 seconds.
>
> Right... ...but since the timeout value is already capped at 60 seconds,
> this is not a major problem. It is pretty pointless to be talking about
> "predictable" or "consistent" behaviour when talking about a situation
> where we believe that the server has crashed.

I agree, but would still prefer more consistent behaviour if it is
easy -- and I explained how to do it, it's an easy algorithm.

You don't respond to the other question: the doubling stopping at
3.2s. Is it intended? It goes againt a basic principle of congestion
control.

> AFAICS, all we care about is to establish a predictable *lower limit*.

I agree that is the most important thing, and the old behaviour was
probably the cause of problems for at least one poster on this thread.

-- Jamie