Re: POSIX message queues, libmqueue: mq_open, mq_unlink

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 05:50:11 EST

Alex wrote:

Ok. It's just that every provider of the _kernel_ interface to user
space has now to take care of being posix-compliant. Write the code for
checks, iow. That is not the case for "open", for instance.
And besides, with the patch applied the kernel is also posix compliant,
isn't it?

No. E.g. mq_notify(,&{.sigev_notify=SIGEV_THREAD) cannot be implemented in kernel space. And sys_mq_getsetattr isn't posix compliant either - the user space library must implement mq_getattr and mq_setattr on top of the kernel API.
The kernel API was designed to be simple and flexible. Perhaps we want to extend the kernel implementation in the future, and then a leading slash could be used to indicate that we are using the new features.

--
Manfred