Re: drivers/char/dz.[ch]: reason for keeping?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 06:17:57 EST

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> Interrupt setup is a bit tricky on the VAXen. First, they actually have
> separated RX and TX IRQ and these aren't static. IRQ probing needs to be
> redone (at least can't be easily copied) since the new dz_init() is
> basically a complete new rewrite...

I think we need to separate the chipset driver from the
implementation-specific details. There are at least three configurations
in existence:

1. DECstation on-board serial ports for the 3100 (2100) and the 5000/200
(there are minor differences which can be handled together, I think).

2. The PMAC-A TURBOchannel board. This implies up to 24 ports in a single
system if we ever support the DEC 3000/900 (3000/800) Alpha systems; 16
ports otherwise. ;-)

3. VAX-based systems -- you know the details better.

Note the existence of #2 above implies there may be two different kinds of
such ports in a single system, be it a DECstation or a VAXstation (the
4000 series use these ports as well, don't they?).

> Old ./drivers/char/dz.c + VAX changes + SERIO changes, that is :) I
> guess best practice is that VAX people first merge up with MIPS folks,
> then we snatch the old driver together and have a beer...

It sounds like a plan. :-)