Re: drivers/char/dz.[ch]: reason for keeping?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 04:09:28 EST

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Russell King wrote:

> Since we have drivers/serial/dz.[ch] now merged, is there a reason to
> keep drivers/char/dz.[ch] around any more? I notice people keep doing
> cleanups, but this is wasted effort if the driver is superseded by the
> new drivers/serial/dz.[ch] driver.

drivers/char/dz.[ch] has been verified to work on real hardware, at least
with 2.4. Can the same be said of drivers/serial/dz.[ch]? If so, then
the former can be removed from the mainline.

Anyway, I plan a functional update to drivers/char/dz.[ch], to add
missing features that should have made their way there for 2.4. Then I'll
see what needs to be ported to drivers/serial/dz.[ch] and update it
accordingly. Only then I'll consider the former to be in a strict bugfix
mode. Updates to the old driver can be done solely in the MIPS 2.4 tree,
though.

Maciej