Re: kernel 2.4.16

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 19:05:30 EST

Amit wrote:
The installation has gone through smoothly and I have managed to get an
linux-2.6.3 up and running with LTT.
I checked the documentation and it says that I need to do an insmod on the
tracer but I have compiled it as a part of the kernel. Now the documentation
says that I should execute the createdev.sh to create the devices. When I
execute that I get errors related to tracer. When I try to execute the
tracedaemon I get that relayfs is not mounted. Can you please tell me how to
go about doing the first part. After doing all this I want to run some test
cases and see how does LTT generate traces. Later on I would also like to
add rtai to this and see the traces from that too.

The documentation is out of date. Basically, the createdev.sh script isn't
needed anymore because of relayfs. You need to mount relayfs to use LTT.
See the classic dox on filesystem mounting for this kind of thing. It's
going to be something like:
# mount -t relayfs nodev /mnt/relay

There's no insmod for LTT. It isn't a device driver module, following LKML
recommendations.

As for RTAI, there's currently no RTAI support in relayfs. If you want to have
RTAI tracing, then you'd have to fall back on earlier stable versions of LTT.

PS. I would like to write down a small howto on this and pass it on to you
so that newbies like me can have a good ref. Thanks for the help.

Sure.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits