Re: finding out the value of HZ from userspace

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 19:42:31 EST

Peter Williams wrote:
> >When we go to a tickless kernel and offer high-resolution timers to
> >userspace, then it will be irrelevant. Until then, or if the kernel
> >goes tickless but limits the resolution of timers for efficiency, the
> >value of HZ is still relevant.
>
> The resolution will always be limited. That's the nature of digital
> systems. Unlimited resolution would require real "real" numbers and
> that's not possible. The nearest you get on a digital system is the
> floating point APPROXIMATION to real numbers.

Sure, but HZ will still be irrelevant. There won't be a HZ to report.

> IMHO, as I've said several times, USER_HZ should be changed to be equal
> to or greater than HZ. In fact, if having USER_HZ greater than HZ would
> still make it unusable for your purposes, I'd change that opinion to say
> USER_HZ should be equal to HZ (or, in other words, cease to exist).

It's not possible to change USER_HZ. There are too many programs with
the number hard-coded into the binary. The best we could do is make
the HZ userspace macro non-constant, so it calls sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK),
and wait a few years until practically all programs being used no
longer contain a hard-coded constant. Then we could get rid of USER_HZ again.

-- Jamie