Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] RNDIS Gadget Driver

From: don
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 18:26:03 EST

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:44:10AM -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> There's a file system protocol used by many digital still cameras,
> which isn't actually camera-specific. Not MSFT-specific either.
>
> Originally called "Picture Transfer Protocol" (PTP) it's actually
> more of a remote hierarchical filesystem protocol ... with an event
> channel (handy for "new picture" or "inserted new flash memory")
> and some built-in search capabilities ("what JPGs do you have").
> The strangest capability was a file type tag, which isn't actually
> that bizarre.
>
> As with RNDIS, and USB Mass Storage, I understand that support for
> PTP is part of MS-Windows since about Win2K. So a PTP gadget
> driver would probably be a useful contribution to Linux.

A host driver "USB PTP Storage" would be really nice too. First
as a generic camera interface, second to access a gadget with the
PTP interface.

(Please embarrass me by saying there already is one, I'll be so happy
I won't care :-) ).

I have a PTP camera and would certainly be happy to test such a driver.
Time to write it is a different matter.

Don Reid