Re: PROBLEM: APIC on Chaintech ZNF3-150 Motherboard

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 06:42:45 EST

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:32:45 +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
>I've just put a new computer together with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and a
>Chaintech ZNF3-150 motherboard. This has the Nvidia NForce 3 chipset.
>
>Booting 2.6.4, from the debian kernel-image-2.6.4-1-k7 package, I get
>reproducible errors from the onboard BCM5788 NIC and a Realtek 8139 NIC
>when under load.
>
>When the disk is under load, I get reproducible DMA errors from any IDE
>disk that is under load.
>
>When I boot with "noapic", these problems go away.

NVidia chipsets are known to have problems when used with
local APIC or I/O-APIC. We don't know exactly what happens,
but it looks like a hardware or BIOS problem. The only
known cure is to try combinations of:

upgrade BIOS
pci=noacpi
acpi=off
noapic
nolapic

FWIW, VIA's K8T800 chipset seems to work very well.