Re: 2.6.5-rc1-aa1

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 08:37:01 EST

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> the problem is that they will still not be mergeable if we obey to the
> vm_pgoff. We could merge some more though. The other main issue is the
> search in this single object for all mm, that has again the downside of
> searching all mm. I keep track of exactly which mm to track instead,

If you read Hugh's latest code, you'll find that for all the
non-shared pages, his code only looks at 1 mm too ...

> But I certainly agree we could mix the two things and have 1 anon_vma
> object per-mm instad of per-vma by losing some granularity in the
> tracking and making the search more expensive, but then we'd need a
> prio_tree there too and that doesn't come for free either, so I'd rather
> spend the 12 bytes for the finegrined tracking, the prio_tree can't get
> right which mm to scan and which not for every page, the current
> anon_vma can.

Note that this disadvantage only holds true for pages that
are shared between multiple processes, but not all of the
processes in a fork group. The non-shared pages are found
immediately with Hugh's code, so I suspect this shouldn't
be a big disadvantage any more.

Also, we'll need the prio_tree anyway for file backed stuff.