Re: 2.6.x atkbd.c moaning

From: Michael Frank
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 17:00:06 EST

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:07:37 +0100, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 04:46:11AM +0800, Michael Frank wrote:

>>The Unknown key release msg is introduced in 2.6.1 with i8042
>>changesets from 1.33 to 1.35 (likely 1.34 as Anton suggested). Guess i
>>did not think much of it as it was "smaller" but "blaming xfree"
>>during boot since 2.6.2 caught my attention.
>
>XFree86 was fixed (post 4.4) thanks to this message. kbdrate is also
>fixed in the current version. With latest XFree86 and latest kbd package
>you shouldn't be getting this message anymore.

I appreciate the message when X-old or kbdrate-old is running but not
during boot right after HD init. Please see dmesg.

I updated to kbd-1.12-1 Change kdbrate does still create messages.
Will look for later package. Which version?

Are you running kbdrate on the console?

Console, ssh, serial console, xterm - all the same

Above is the latest package I could find for redhat.

>Can you give details on the mouse and the machine? I seem to have missed
>them.

Mouse is a noname USB mouse connected via an PS2 Adapter to the PS2 port.
Dmesg included.

Ok. Does it have a wheel and extra buttons?

It has a wheel (which works with kde, opera..) and 2 buttons.
Wheel is a wheel only (no button).

BTW this USB mouse would not work with USB on 2.4 using modular USB.

>>The serious issue with the mouse is that it does not recover and stays
>>out of sync and interprets further movement as random coordinates/button
>>clicks.
>
>Does unloading and reloading the psmouse module help?

No, once sync lost, unload, load psmouse no use and
unplug, plug mouse no use too.

Interesting. Since the driver shouldn't be keeping any state, unplugging
and replugging the mouse should be well enough.

But: unload, remove mouse, plug mouse, load is OK
except setting for acceleration is too low.

Looks like psmouse reset no work on 2.6.

I'll take a look at this code path then.

Btw, please try with USB support compiled into the kernel. We might be
seeing yet another incarnation of the "Legacy USB emulation" problem.

Compiled in core, ohci, hid.

PCI: Found IRQ 6 for device 0000:00:03.0
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: OHCI Host Controller
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: irq 6, pci mem df80d000
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb usb1: Product: OHCI Host Controller
usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.4-mhf195 ohci_hcd
usb usb1: SerialNumber: 0000:00:03.0
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 0000:00:03.1
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.1: OHCI Host Controller
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.1: irq 9, pci mem df80f000
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb usb2: Product: OHCI Host Controller
usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.4-mhf195 ohci_hcd
usb usb2: SerialNumber: 0000:00:03.1
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

Both PS2 mouse and USB mouse working :)

But when plugging the mouse hotplug wanna load floppy driver ;)
(System has no floppy). IIRC This was recently discussed.

Interrupts are not shared. IRQ5 would go to EHCI, 7 to PRN.

CPU0
0: 549460 XT-PIC timer
1: 12 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 368 XT-PIC serial
6: 574 XT-PIC ohci_hcd
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 0 XT-PIC ohci_hcd
11: 8999 XT-PIC eth0
12: 1121 XT-PIC i8042
14: 5181 XT-PIC ide0
NMI: 0
ERR: 0

APIC buggy, ACPI more buggy. Keyboard no work at all with
ACPI on this board. DSDT has more bugs than a tropical jungle.

hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 > hda4
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
NET: Registered protocol family 2

This indeed looks like it. Why do you specify "nousb" on the kernel
command line?

USB is not used much and too much trouble to keep running when not in use ;)
USB does not work with swsusp. USB breaks reboot on some hardware too.

I load USB and hotplug by script only when needed.

I recently had a case with swsusp user leaving usbcore and hotplug
resulting in breaking a notebooks internal keyboard...

Regards
Michael