Re: 2.6.x atkbd.c moaning

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 16:15:24 EST

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 04:46:11AM +0800, Michael Frank wrote:

> >>The Unknown key release msg is introduced in 2.6.1 with i8042
> >>changesets from 1.33 to 1.35 (likely 1.34 as Anton suggested). Guess i
> >>did not think much of it as it was "smaller" but "blaming xfree"
> >>during boot since 2.6.2 caught my attention.
> >
> >XFree86 was fixed (post 4.4) thanks to this message. kbdrate is also
> >fixed in the current version. With latest XFree86 and latest kbd package
> >you shouldn't be getting this message anymore.
>
> I appreciate the message when X-old or kbdrate-old is running but not
> during boot right after HD init. Please see dmesg.
>
> I updated to kbd-1.12-1 Change kdbrate does still create messages.
> Will look for later package. Which version?

Are you running kbdrate on the console?

> >Can you give details on the mouse and the machine? I seem to have missed
> >them.
>
> Mouse is a noname USB mouse connected via an PS2 Adapter to the PS2 port.
> Dmesg included.

Ok. Does it have a wheel and extra buttons?

> >>The serious issue with the mouse is that it does not recover and stays
> >>out of sync and interprets further movement as random coordinates/button
> >>clicks.
> >
> >Does unloading and reloading the psmouse module help?
>
> No, once sync lost, unload, load psmouse no use and
> unplug, plug mouse no use too.

Interesting. Since the driver shouldn't be keeping any state, unplugging
and replugging the mouse should be well enough.

> But: unload, remove mouse, plug mouse, load is OK
> except setting for acceleration is too low.
>
> Looks like psmouse reset no work on 2.6.

I'll take a look at this code path then.

Btw, please try with USB support compiled into the kernel. We might be
seeing yet another incarnation of the "Legacy USB emulation" problem.

> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 > hda4
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
> serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
> input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
> NET: Registered protocol family 2

This indeed looks like it. Why do you specify "nousb" on the kernel
command line?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR