Re: 2.6.2-rc2-bk1 oopses on boot (ACPI patch)

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 17:39:40 EST

Matt Domsch wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:37:55PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

Divide by zero. Looks like ACPI is now passing bad values into the
frequency change notifier.

It is a common problem with Dell's DSDT implementation which does not
follow ACPI spec and it's been going on for ages. From the original
report:

cpufreq: CPU0 - ACPI performance management activated
cpufreq: *P0: 1Mhz, 0 mW, 0 uS
cpufreq: P1: 0Mhz, 0 mW, 0 uS
divide error: 0000 [#1]

As you can see all data is bogus... Patching DSDT cures it for sure,
sometimes CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML helps as well.

Please send me your DSDT and output of dmidecode, and ideally what a
proper DSDT should show in this case (I'm not familiar enough with
what all the various ACPI tables should contain), and I'll take it up
with the BIOS programmers for that platform.

While appreciating your offer, I'd like to remind that this works
perfectly prior to the 20031203 ACPI patch. Indeed, this is what
2.6.1 vanilla says in that area:

cpufreq: CPU0 - ACPI performance management activated.
cpufreq: *P0: 1800 MHz, 0 mW, 250 uS
cpufreq: P1: 1200 MHz, 0 mW, 250 uS

Attaching the gzipped dmesg for my 2.6.1 boot - let me know if
you want anyway dmidecode output and DSDT; for this latter I'll
have to ask for instructions (or is the output of a simple
'cat /proc/acpi/dsdt' enough ?).

--alessandro

"Two rivers run too deep
The seasons change and so do I"