Re: List 'linux-dvb' closed to public posts

From: Marcus Metzler
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 10:15:58 EST

Johannes Stezenbach writes:
> Marcus Metzler wrote:
> > Linus Torvalds writes:
> > >
> > > Bug reports should be more important to the recipient than to the sender.
> > > Anything you do to make it more of a bother is WRONG.
> >
> > That's true. And being on the linux-dvb list I can't see why they
> > would want to give it as a maintainer address.
> > AFAIR, recently there was only one guy from convergence sending in
> > patches for the kernel anyway.
>
> Someone has to do the job, and IMHO Michael does it very well.
> Why do you think it would be a good idea if every patch would
> be submitted by a differnt person?

Who said that. If only one poerson submits, why not give his address
as maintainer.

> > But maybe they have some problems
> > within the company so they don't want to name one single person as a
> > maintainer.
>
> There isn't a single maintainer. The different drivers in linuxtv.org
> CVS are maintained by different people.

I think only the kernel tree is relevant for the MAINTAINER list.

> > Still they could give some joint mailing address. I don't think it is
> > necessary to discuss all patches on the list, especially since those
> > coming from people that are not on the list will probably be quite
> > trivial or more kernel related than DVB hardware related.
>
> I beg to differ. IMHO patches sent to the list from anyone are
> invaluable input, especially (but not only) if they solve
> actual bugs.

Anyone being able to patch something that really concerns the DVB
relevant hard or software will probably be on the list. Any other
patches will probably concern minor things or changes in the overall
kernel structure.

> Anyway, the *only* reason why the linux-dvb list is closed is
> the fear of spam. We are currently discussing whether to open
> linux-dvb or create a second, open list for patch submission
> only. It depends on the ability of the list admins to configure
> effective spam filters.

But how will the person submitting a patch get feedback about the
patch when he or she is not on the list. I don't think a list is a
good idea as a maintainer address.
The problem is not that the patches may or may not go to the list, you
can always forward them anyway. The problem is that some people not
familiar with DVB may have patches but are not that interested in
DVB that they would like to join the list.
So, you don't have to open the list. You just have to give a different
maintainer address, like dvb-maintainer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marcus

| Dr. Marcus O.C. Metzler | |
| mocm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.metzlerbros.de/ |
|>>> I like GNU, but I couldn't eat a whole one <<<|