Re: List 'linux-dvb' closed to public posts

From: Johannes Stezenbach
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 09:16:09 EST

Marcus Metzler wrote:
> Linus Torvalds writes:
> >
> > Bug reports should be more important to the recipient than to the sender.
> > Anything you do to make it more of a bother is WRONG.
>
> That's true. And being on the linux-dvb list I can't see why they
> would want to give it as a maintainer address.
> AFAIR, recently there was only one guy from convergence sending in
> patches for the kernel anyway.

Someone has to do the job, and IMHO Michael does it very well.
Why do you think it would be a good idea if every patch would
be submitted by a differnt person?

> But maybe they have some problems
> within the company so they don't want to name one single person as a
> maintainer.

There isn't a single maintainer. The different drivers in linuxtv.org
CVS are maintained by different people.

> Still they could give some joint mailing address. I don't think it is
> necessary to discuss all patches on the list, especially since those
> coming from people that are not on the list will probably be quite
> trivial or more kernel related than DVB hardware related.

I beg to differ. IMHO patches sent to the list from anyone are
invaluable input, especially (but not only) if they solve
actual bugs.

Anyway, the *only* reason why the linux-dvb list is closed is
the fear of spam. We are currently discussing whether to open
linux-dvb or create a second, open list for patch submission
only. It depends on the ability of the list admins to configure
effective spam filters.

Johannes