Re: KGDB 2.0.3 with fixes and development in ethernet interface

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 00:11:10 EST

On Thursday 22 Jan 2004 4:30 am, George Anzinger wrote:
> Amit S. Kale wrote:

> >>I don't seem to have such a problem with the mm kgdb. No kern_schedule
> >>there...
> >
> > Have you confirmed that you see correct values for all the registers? I
> > had found some problems with gdb not being able to locate all the
> > registers correctly. Explanation on the problem below:
> >
> > Besides getting gdb's fault there is one more benefit of kern_schedule.
> > All threads are shown by gdb as sleeping _at_ the place where schedule
> > call is present: So instead of gdb showing all threads sleeping in
> > __switch_to, it shows several functions. That's better than having to
> > look at back trace of each thread to figure out what it is.
>
> The mm version of kgdb does this, but by lying to gdb during the info
> thread command. IMNSHO, the real way to do this is to process the info
> thread output with an awk script, but I haven't done that just yet. The
> problem with lying to gdb is that it sometimes remembers...
>
> > This functionality is complemented by printing of thread names in 2.0.X
> > kgdb info threads listing.
>
> as in the mm version.
>
> > Now back to gdb problem of not being able to locate registers.
> > schedule results in code of this form:
> >
> > schedule:
> > framesetup
> > registers save
> > save registers
> > change esp
> > call switchto
> > restore registers
>
> I have not analyzed this as yet. However, it does seem to me to be the
> same problem as trying to bt through an interrupt frame. The correct way
> to do this is to build the dwarf frame descriptors. I have done this for
> the interrupt frame and intend to send said patch out in a day or so.

Great! I had to do it this ackward way:

i386 ->

ALIGN
common_interrupt:
SAVE_ALL
+ movl %esp, %eax
+/* Create a fake function call followed by a fake function prologue to fool
+ * gdb into believing that this is a normal function call. */
+ pushl EIP(%eax)
+
+common_interrupt_1:
+ pushl %ebp
+ movl %esp, %ebp
+ pushl %eax
call do_IRQ
+ addl $12, %esp
jmp ret_from_intr

Powerpc ->
int irq, first = 1;
+ unsigned long *lrptr;
+ if (!(regs->msr & MSR_PR)) {
+ /* Came in from the kernel. Save call link. */
+ lrptr = (unsigned long *)(regs->gpr[1] + 4);
+ *lrptr = regs->nip;
+ }

I guess your patch will fix this problem for i386 only. Any ideas on doing it
for powerpc too?

> Could be I should look at the above and do the right thing for it also.

> > GDB can't analyze code other than frame setup and registers save. It may
> > not show values of variables that are present in registers correctly.
> > This used to be a problem some time ago (gdb 5.X). Perhaps gdb 6.x does a
> > better job. hmm...
> > May be its time I should look at gdb's x86 register info code again.
>
> The latter gdbs (not sure when) are using dwarf frame code. The asm code
> needs to be anotated to make this work. There is a problem I reported a
> couple of days ago with the dwarf expression code. I think it is fixed,
> but that would still be the cvs version of gdb.
>
> I think I would rather NOT modify kernel code and put up with the register
> loss in some cases. I am MUCH more concerned with unexpected behavior due
> to the code changes. Heisenberg is NOT our friend.

Agreed. I am not happy with the CONFIG_KGDB_THREAD code in entry.S That's the
reason I have kept it optional.

--
Amit Kale
EmSysSoft (http://www.emsyssoft.com)