Re: KGDB 2.0.3 with fixes and development in ethernet interface

From: George Anzinger
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 18:02:18 EST

Amit S. Kale wrote:
On Sunday 18 Jan 2004 1:24 am, George Anzinger wrote:

Amit S. Kale wrote:

On Saturday 17 Jan 2004 6:53 am, George Anzinger wrote:

:

This seems to be needed (if I unselect CONFIG_KGDB_THREAD, I get
compile error on x86-64).

Amit, could you explain why this is an option? It seems very useful and
not really too much code...

It saves all registers before switch_to. It does that two times at
present. Once (implicit) register save by gcc and an explicit register
save in arch/<proc>/kernel/entry.S Second register save in kern_schedule
generates a pt_regs structure which gdb can get all registers at once
from. If it's omited, gdb has to figure out where gcc has saved registers
from the non-standards code in switch_to, which it can't do correctly all
the time.

We can have a check for (a new variable) debugger_enabled before calling
kern_schedule. That'll be add negligible overhead and will allow extra
thread info to be saved only when a debugger is enabled. There will not
be any need for CONFIG_KGDB_THREAD also.

I don't seem to have such a problem with the mm kgdb. No kern_schedule
there...

Have you confirmed that you see correct values for all the registers? I had found some problems with gdb not being able to locate all the registers correctly. Explanation on the problem below:

Besides getting gdb's fault there is one more benefit of kern_schedule. All threads are shown by gdb as sleeping _at_ the place where schedule call is present: So instead of gdb showing all threads sleeping in __switch_to, it shows several functions. That's better than having to look at back trace of each thread to figure out what it is.

The mm version of kgdb does this, but by lying to gdb during the info thread command. IMNSHO, the real way to do this is to process the info thread output with an awk script, but I haven't done that just yet. The problem with lying to gdb is that it sometimes remembers...

This functionality is complemented by printing of thread names in 2.0.X kgdb info threads listing.

as in the mm version.

Now back to gdb problem of not being able to locate registers.
schedule results in code of this form:

schedule:
framesetup
registers save
save registers
change esp
call switchto
restore registers
I have not analyzed this as yet. However, it does seem to me to be the same problem as trying to bt through an interrupt frame. The correct way to do this is to build the dwarf frame descriptors. I have done this for the interrupt frame and intend to send said patch out in a day or so.

Could be I should look at the above and do the right thing for it also.

GDB can't analyze code other than frame setup and registers save. It may not show values of variables that are present in registers correctly. This used to be a problem some time ago (gdb 5.X). Perhaps gdb 6.x does a better job.
hmm...
May be its time I should look at gdb's x86 register info code again.

The latter gdbs (not sure when) are using dwarf frame code. The asm code needs to be anotated to make this work. There is a problem I reported a couple of days ago with the dwarf expression code. I think it is fixed, but that would still be the cvs version of gdb.

I think I would rather NOT modify kernel code and put up with the register loss in some cases. I am MUCH more concerned with unexpected behavior due to the code changes. Heisenberg is NOT our friend.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx