Re: DBT-2 anticipatory scheduler and filesystem results with 2.6.1

From: markw
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 11:24:16 EST

On 19 Jan, Andrew Morton wrote:
> markw@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> I ran some dbt-2 tests against 5 filesystems with 2.6.1-mm4 and 2.6.1. I
>> see a degradation from 0 to 7% in throughput.
>
> -mm4 also had readahead changes which will adversely impact database-style
> workloads. I'd suggest that you revert
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.1/2.6.1-mm4/broken-out/readahead-revert-lazy-readahead.patch
>
> and retest.
>
> We reverted lazy readahead because it broke NFS linear reads and was doing
> the wrong thing anyway. We need to come up with something else for
> database-style workloads.

Ok, ran through a set of tests a -R of the
readahead-revert-lazy-readahead.patch. Saw a significant improvement
with xfs, but the other file systems appeared to improve only marginally
compared to 2.6.1-mm4 with that patch.

Here's a summary compared to 2.6.1:

% throughput change from 2.6.1 to 2.6.1-mm4 -R readahead
ext2 -4.9
ext3 -4.3
jfs -5.1
reiserfs -3.8
xfs 14.8

Here's the summary of the original 2.6.1-mm4 for reference:

% throughput change from 2.6.1 to 2.6.1-mm4
ext2 -5.9%
ext3 -5.1%
jfs -7.0%
reiserfs -2.2%