Re: DBT-2 anticipatory scheduler and filesystem results with 2.6.1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 23:57:25 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

markw@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I ran some dbt-2 tests against 5 filesystems with 2.6.1-mm4 and 2.6.1. I
see a degradation from 0 to 7% in throughput.

-mm4 also had readahead changes which will adversely impact database-style
workloads. I'd suggest that you revert

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.1/2.6.1-mm4/broken-out/readahead-revert-lazy-readahead.patch

and retest.

We reverted lazy readahead because it broke NFS linear reads and was doing
the wrong thing anyway. We need to come up with something else for
database-style workloads.

Oh good. I'd be a bit surprised if it were due to an as-iosched.c change that
caused the regression.

But there are changes in how new processes are handled, so if you have a lot
of io submitting processes being created, you might see a difference.