Re: ALSA vs. OSS

From: Gábor Lénárt
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 04:00:58 EST

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:21:26AM -0700, Travis Morgan wrote:
> So far I sort of tend to agree with you on OSS being better.

Please. This is a minor point, the important part is hidden from an average
user, that ALSA is modularized, supports SMP, multiple sound cards etc etc,
so it is much better structured than OSS/Free. Of course some DRIVER is in
better/worse in ALSA than in OSS/Free. But it's a minor point, the main
advantage is the whole structure of the sound layer Linux has, which is much
more better with ALSA than with OSS/Free. The base structure is the hard
work, porting drivers from eg OSS/Free or enhance it in ALSA can be minor
work. Also, user base of OSS/Free is MUCH larger than ALSA's just because
ALSA _was_ a separated project till now, so maybe features provided towards
users are not so clean than in the case of OSS/Free which was the part of
kernel since ages. But I think this is exactly the reason OSS/Free and ALSA
are available in paralell for a while, so developers have got time to
do something.

It's like when 'new operating system' is described after its GUI in the m$
world, while it's not a major point when speaking about an OS ;-)

- Gábor (larta'H)