Re: ALSA vs. OSS

From: Travis Morgan
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 13:25:38 EST

So far I sort of tend to agree with you on OSS being better.

I have a soundblaster Live Value card. I can no longer control the
output level through my digital out. With OSS my PCM volume used to
affect both the headphone jack and the digital out. With ALSA it affects
only the headphone jack.

I have loaded up alsamixer and played with every level in there and it
doesn't seem possible to adjust the level anymore unless I adjust the
wave volume. As a result I've been unable to get xmms or gkrellm to
adjust the volume coming out of my stereo.

Now I like the idea of seperate volume controls, but this doesn't do
that.

Regards,
Travis M