Re: [1/4] better i386 CPU selection

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 21:17:01 EST

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:32:39PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, cliff white wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:52:32 +0100
> > Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > Changes:
>
> > > - AMD Elan is a different subarch, you can't configure a kernel that
> > > runs on both the AMD Elan and other i386 CPUs
>
> NO! NO! This prevents development of an AMD embeded system on an
> "ordinary" machine like this one (Pentium IV). The fact that the
> timer runs at a different speed means nothing, one just sets the
> workstation time every day. Please do NOT do this. It prevents
> important usage.

What problems exacly are you referring to?

Besides the AMD Elan cpufreq driver I see nothing where CONFIG_MELAN
gave you any real difference (except your highest goal is to avoid a
recompilation when switching from the Pentium 4 to the AMD Elan - but I
doubt the really "prevents development").

But I'm not religious about this issue. Let Robert decide, the Elan
support is his child.

> > > - added optimizing CFLAGS for the AMD Elan
>
> There are no such different "optimizations" for ELAN.

What's wrong wih the -march=i486 Robert suggested?

> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson

cu
Adrian