Re: [discuss] Re: kgdb for x86_64 2.6 kernels

From: George Anzinger
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 18:34:17 EST

Matt Mackall wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:26:46PM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:

Serial interface should be configurable independent of kgdb and may not be configured if ethernet interface is configured. Serial interface is far simpler hence superior for debugging purposes. If it's available, using ethernet interface is out of question. Ethernet interface can be used when serial hardware isn't present or is being used for some other purposes.

I rather think that the serial inteface should be the fall back unless the user has told us at configure time that it is not available. I am not prepared to make a statment that it is better than eth. The eth intface should be much faster, but it has its fingers into a large part of the kernel that MAY be the subject of the current session. Thus, I think that eth may be better, IF one is clearly not involved in debugging those areas of the kernel. (Which, by the way, we need to enumerate at some point.)

I have in mind creating some other interfaces that will be on a par
with serial for early boot availability. So lets not frame this in
terms of eth vs serial. We can throw a priority int in the config
interface, stuff that in the plug struct, and pick whichever one's
highest and claims to be currently available.

Right. I had hoped that we might one day be able to use the USB and I am sure there are others.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx