Re: [discuss] Re: kgdb for x86_64 2.6 kernels

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 01:35:51 EST

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:26:46PM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:

> >Serial interface should be configurable independent of kgdb and may not be
> >configured if ethernet interface is configured. Serial interface is far
> >simpler hence superior for debugging purposes. If it's available, using
> >ethernet interface is out of question. Ethernet interface can be used when
> >serial hardware isn't present or is being used for some other purposes.
> >
> I rather think that the serial inteface should be the fall back unless the
> user has told us at configure time that it is not available. I am not
> prepared to make a statment that it is better than eth. The eth intface
> should be much faster, but it has its fingers into a large part of the
> kernel that MAY be the subject of the current session. Thus, I think that
> eth may be better, IF one is clearly not involved in debugging those areas
> of the kernel. (Which, by the way, we need to enumerate at some point.)

I have in mind creating some other interfaces that will be on a par
with serial for early boot availability. So lets not frame this in
terms of eth vs serial. We can throw a priority int in the config
interface, stuff that in the plug struct, and pick whichever one's
highest and claims to be currently available.

--
Matt Mackall : http://www.selenic.com : Linux development and consulting