Re: 2.6.1mm2: nforce2 / amd74xx IDE driver doesn't load

From: Jens Benecke
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 13:14:23 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

>> > It doesn't load because IDE ports are already controlled by generic IDE
>> > code.
>> > Just use CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX=y. I will fix this "BIOS" comment.
>>
>> I can't, because I (plan to) use this kernel on many different machines.
>> Not all of those (in fact: only one) uses the amd74xx module.
>
> So what? It won't be used on other machines, but it will eat a little
> kernel image space & memory.

Then I'd have to statically compile in *all* IDE modules.
The point is that I'm providing specially configured kernels for a large
group of users, most of which I don't even know (much less their hardware
configurations).

>> Is there a kernel parameter I can use to disable the generic IDE code on
>> boot?
>
> No, but I will later make patch to allow disabling/modularizing it.

That'd be great. :-)
Thanks!

PS: this worked in 2.4 (loading the IDE driver later as module, but booting
from IDE as well), why doesn't it work in 2.6 any more?

--
Jens Benecke (jens at spamfreemail.de)
http://www.hitchhikers.de - Europaweite kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale