Re: Make the init-process look like the StarWars Credits

From: Rob Couto
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 12:25:39 EST

On Friday 09 January 2004 11:55, Niels Ippensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to make the boot-process look
> StarWars-like:
>

> lalallaal
> llalalallalalalalalalalalala
> lalalalalalalaalallalalalalalalalallala
>
> and let it scroll up the screen. I would think that this could be done
> with the Framebuffer-Device. Maybe something like fblogo or so.
>
> Thanks,
> Niels

if your processor is so fast that it gets bored waiting for your disk, that
could be cool ;)

http://www.bootsplash.org has the utils for full-screen fb logo and other
stuff, i.e. fbmngplay and fbtruetype, playback mng anims and drop text in any
size/color/position on the screen in a TrueType font. mix that together with
some nice bilinear filtering and you'd have the beginning of a jaw-dropping
misuse of CPU :)

so in other words, without examining the practicality, yes. the fb can do that
if the kernel console that gets rendered to the fb can be piped thru a gimpy
pre-processor. sounds like fun. maybe one could even borrow the code from the
starwars XScreenSaver to do the pretty rendering, since it already takes
plaintext input.

--
Rob Couto
rpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx