2.6: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occured on CPU 0.

From: lkml
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 11:48:06 EST

Hi!

I did have some very scary issues today playing with 2.6. The system was
booted and ran several times today, the longtest uptime was approximately
about an hour.

But then shortly after having booted 2.6 I got syslog messages:

The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occured on CPU 0.

I shut down the machine. After this my Athlon XP 2200+ showed up as 1050MHz in
BIOS an indeed the bus frequency was set to 100 instead of 133 MHz (how can
an OS change the BIOS?!) - nevertheless the CPU should have shown up as
1500MHz. I set it back to 133 MHz - which resulted in the machine did not
even reach the BIOS no more but was rebooting automatically prior to it. I
turned off the machine for some seconds - no change. I turned it off for a
few minutes and the BIOS showed up again - with 1050MHz. So I had to set the
freq back to 133 MHz a second time. I booted my 2.4.21 kernel which seems to
run.

What the fuck is going on here?? As far as I figured out this has something to
do with MCE (CONFIG_X86_MCE=y, CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y) (?).

TIA
Timo