Re: Multiple keyboard/monitor vs linux-2.6?

From: Svetoslav Slavtchev
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 18:10:41 EST

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:27:48PM +0100, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it does work, and you even can have multiple
> > virtual consoles, and even on a single dual headed
> > Matrox G4xx/G550 although there are still some
> > small/big :-) issues
> >
> > may i ask what do you mean by that :
> >
> > ----
> > Even though the HOWTO is more for Backstreet Ruby,
> > I couldn't make head or tail of it.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > ----
> >
> > asking cause i wrote the howto,
> > and i hardly get feedback
> >
> > the one thing i know is, that it's simply too big ,
> > but i tried to cover everything and there is no other way :(
> >
> > best,
> >
> > svetljo
>

> For kernel-2.6.x, Ruby would be the only option.

not really, there was a ? one liner ? fix
to make the kernel ignore usb keyboards
so you can still use Miguel's solution

>So, I'll eventually
> get my teeth into it. But, I don't want to modify both kernel and X,
> especially kernel. If X doesn't work, I can use the old X. But, if
> kernel doesn't work, then I have to reboot.

if you just want muliple X users bruby/ ruby should work as stable as 2.4
/2.6
(works at least for 20-25 people i helped, reading the howto and getting it
up),

but if you want multiple virtual terminals, you'll have to experiment :-)
and read a lot the linuxconsole ml, as it's not yet documented

i really don't see what's the problem with installing XFree,
it's just another 2mb binary, and it has better stability for most
video cards, there are some that don't need it, so
it's up to you to decide " go for the stable solution or experiment"

> > PS.
> >
> > please CC me as i'm not subscribed to lkml
>
> If you're not subscribed, how did you post to the mailing-list?

just send a mail to linux-kernel (at) vger.kernel.org,
you don't have to be subscribed to post to lkml
/* thanks god */

best,

svetljo