Re: udev sysfs docs Re: State of devfs in 2.6?

From: Oliver Hunt
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 17:47:26 EST

Måns Rullgård wrote:

Oliver Hunt <ojh16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Måns Rullgård wrote:

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

maybe add this to the faq?

Q: devfs did load drivers when someone tried to open() a non existing
device. will sysfs/hotplug/udev do this?

A: there is no need to.

I never like it when the answer is "you don't want to do this". It
makes me think of a certain Redmond based company.

No... that's MacOS.. it does everything you want it to do... if you
think otherwise, you're *wrong*,

Quite true, I've never been able to use the old MacOS for more than a
few minutes without a total system crash, only fixable by pulling the
plug. MacOS is right, I don't want to use it, and it didn't let me.
Perfect.

although this isn't as applicable in MacOS X...

It didn't crash, but it made me log out very quickly.

I'm currently doing development under macos x, and have come to the conclusion that macos does some things well, others, not so well... There's certainly a lot that can be learned from it (sometimes we can learn what not to do -- The dock would be a good example of this :) )

--Oliver