Re: Re: [Oops] i386 mm/slab.c (cache_flusharray)

From: pinotj
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 13:48:19 EST

first, some news

2.6.0-test11 makes same oops during second compilation of kernel. The vanilla kernel with PREEMPT always oops the same way. No matter, it's always reproductible.

2.6.0-test11 + Manfred's patch doesn't hang but I found a slab error in the logs that occured during a compilation. (I didn't find this for -test10, I was lucky ?)

So, there is no more way for my system to run a kernel > -test9 without problem.

>De: Manfred Spraul <manfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[...]
>There are several sources for the "-1": My initial guess was either a bug in slab, or a bad memory cell (only one bit difference).
>Thus I sent him a patch that changes multiple bits. Result: It remained a single bit change, i.e it's proven that slab doesn't write BUFCTL_END into the wrong slot.

Thanks for your explanation.
Should I try with L1 and/or L2 cache disable on my computer (I don't know if it's safe) ?
I trust my hardware but it's better to get some facts.

Jerome Pinot

(between LFS/BLFS, kernel compilation and tests compilation, I will surely break kind of record about load average :-)