Re: More 2.6.0-test6 PCMCIA and Orinoco problems

From: Daniel Gryniewicz
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 12:57:02 EST

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 11:34, Joshua M. Thompson wrote:
> Been searching the net and list archives for a three days now and can't
> find any reports of this exact problem, so here goes:
>
> I finally decided to try out 2.6 on my notebook again. It's a Gateway
> 600E (P4-M 2.0, Intel 845 chipset, TI PCI1250 cardbus controller)
> running RedHat 9.0, upgraded with the beta RPMS from
> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/. I'm up and running MOSTLY ok
> except that I can't get PCMCIA to work. Specifically, my built-in
> Orinoco wireless card doesn't work anymore, nor does an Orinoco Gold
> card I happen to have lying around. PCMCIA starts up ok and the
> orinoco_cs driver loads; however it fails to start, giving only the
> error message "ds: unable to create instance of 'orinoco_cs'".
>
> I've tried several solutions. Tried booting with ACPI off, with APIC
> off, and even tried "cardctl eject; cardctl insert" which seems to help
> some people. Same error every time. The wireless card works fine with
> 2.4.20 and also worked fine when I briefly tried 2.5.68 a while back.

<snip>

Is this the in-kernel driver or the one from pcmcia-cs? I use the
in-kernel driver and pcmcia socket driver (yenta), and just use the
userspace tools from pcmcia-cs, and everything is good for me. I never
was able to get a pure pcmcia-cs (userspace and drivers) working with my
2.6.0-test1 kernels when I tried it.

--
Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@xxxxxxxxxxx>