Re: [RFC 0/6] Backing Store for sysfs

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 13:40:04 EST

Greg KH wrote:

They might, depending on the patch implementation. And no, the issue
isn't different, as we have to show the memory usage after all kobjects
are accessed in sysfs from userspace, not just before, like some of the
measurements are, in order to try to compare apples to apples.

My point in saying that they are different was that your original message implied each hotplug event would be walking most (or all) of the sysfs tree _each time_, thus effectively touching all the dentries and inodes in the cache. In actuality during system startup it will appear that this is the case as all the hotplug events occur, but once that flurry is over the caches can release the unused entries. Later hotplug events would only bring in the entries relevant to the specific kobject that the event relates to, so would cause minimal cache pressure.

Now that I understand how you're expecting hotplug/udev to interact I'll bow out of this thread... I can't even begin to understand the complexities of the patch that's been posted :-)