Re: 71MB compressed for COMPILED(!!!) 2.6.0-test6

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 03:39:21 EST

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:29:56AM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 10:23, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > Hi LK,
> >
> > A while back (after 2.6.0-test2-mm1 which came to 6.4MB compressed, and
> > 2.6.0-test3-mm2 which came out to 34MB compressed), I noticed that the file
> > sizes for compiled object code got a lot bigger. I reported it at the time,
> > but nobody was interested.
> >
> > Today after using 2.6.0-test4-mm3 for a few weeks, I decided to upgrade to
> > test6 and it's up to 71MB compressed!
>

> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
>
> makes the kernel be compiled with -g which gives it debuginfo, which
> basically ends up being the entire sourcecode included in the
> modules/kernel

Thanks Arjan.

config DEBUG_INFO
bool "Compile the kernel with debug info"
depends on DEBUG_KERNEL
help
If you say Y here the resulting kernel image will include
debugging info resulting in a larger kernel image.
Say Y here only if you plan to use gdb to debug the kernel.
If you don't debug the kernel, you can say N.

"Larger kernel image" yeah, NO SHIT! ;)

Maybe something that says it may enlarge your kernel by 5-10 times would be
nice...